Thursday, October 30, 2008

Reese/O'Barto race in the 59th house district

Wow! I think I have now received 10 Mike Reese mailers to 1 Mike O'Barto mailer. Most of the pieces are distorted negative bits about the 1997 overtime pay for the supervisors. Since 1997, the practice has been fixed. O'Barto has been overwhelmingly re-elected by Unity residents. Obviously, the people who know Mike O'Barto the best, like him.

The pieces also have some trumped up scandal about having the public meetings at 7PM instead of 4:30PM. That is laughable. The meeting is public. Open to the press. How can you hide something? Since the state house meets during the day, are they trying to hide something? Is Mike Reese (not really Mike Reese, but the House GOP who are writing his ads) going to propose that the House only meets after 5PM so working folks can attend and keep an eye on them? That is the most ludicrous argument I have ever heard. (Actually the false rumor about Obama taking oath on the Quaran beats that) But, if you can outspend your opponent 10-1, does the validity of your argument really matter? I guess Mike O'Barto knows how John McCain feels at the moment with the massive campaign fund disadvantage.

I thought for a minute about running for this seat. I didn't because I didn't want to be in Harrisburg and a way from my wife and kids. I also didn't because I thought Mike O'Barto would make a great state representative. Had I known the house was going to drastically outspend him with outlandish and distorted negative ads, I may have run.

Nah, I wouldn't. I have too much honor to trash a man in public like that for my own personal gain. Hopefully, the public will see through all the mudslinging.

No comments: